Making Our House Feel Like Home

When my husband and I first moved into our house, I had just gotten back from a work conference in New Orleans. I was hyped up on excitement from purchasing our first home, feeling inspired by the speakers at the conference, missing the lively and colorful streets of New Orleans, and maybe....jjjuuuust maybe, a little hung over from the hurricanes that I had been drinking those few days away (ha!). As soon as we got the keys to our very first house that was ours to do whatever we wanted with, I immediately got to work painting every. single. wall.

The dining room and kitchen? Bright Sky Blue. The living room and entry way? ...more Bright Sky Blue. The guest bath? Peptobismol Pink (yeah, this looked much better on the streets of downtown New Orleans than in my bathroom...). The guest room? Bright Cobalt Blue. You get the picture...One could definitely say that I had New Orleans on my mind when I started attempted to put our home together.

Once I finished my work, I proudly took a step back to admire the masterpiece of my home. Unfortunately, I felt a little twinge of regret not thinking more thoroughly about what the 'vibe' of our house should be before putting all of the energy into painting.

I brushed off any negatively I felt, declared I loved every color (which, in most rooms I really did...just maybe not on the walls in my house), and moved on. My sweet husband went along with it and that was that.

Now, a year and half later, we've put a lot more thought into how to make our house feel like our HOME.

The walls have been painted over with colors that better suit us.

There are pictures and mirrors and special things that hold special memories on our walls.

There's clutter on the kitchen island, laundry (clean or dirty? Who knows..) on the master bedroom floor, a cabinet in the kitchen stuffed to the brim with spices and teas, and a constant tumble weed of animal fur that makes it's way down the hallway (doesn't matter how many times I vacuum or sweep...).

Our house is FINALLY feeling like a home...Like OUR home...and I'm SO excited to share bits and pieces of it with you! ~More to come in following posts.~

{Disclaimer: I am NOT by any means an interior designer, so please don't judge me too harshly. I have inspiration boards on Pinterest, I get advice from friends, do what I think looks good at the time, and that's about it.}

Before Shots:





<a href="https://www.bloglovin.com/blog/18385043/?claim=7jmddm5z6qm">Follow my blog with Bloglovin</a>

No comments